Thursday 15 December 2016

An Ode to Oatmeal!

Hidy-ho there friendly friends and welcome to a post I have decided to dedicate entirely to a long-time love of mine.

You've heard about my love affairs before... so this is nothing new, but of recently the oatmeal has just been stuck in my mind, day-in-day-out. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't think. Well, just kidding- I can definitely eat and yeah, I'm sleeping too and in all honesty, my big mugs of oatmeal a probably helping the ol' noggin to get a-thinkin anyway!!

But alas, I am obsessed and one might think; 'But don't you get bored of eating the same thing numerous times a week??'

My answer to that- are you caraaazzzyyy?? The amount of different add-ins, flavours and textures you can manipulate your bowl of warm/ hot/ creamy/ sweet/ savoury/ rich/ decadent/ tangy/ anything else you can think of- leaves little room for boredom!
And so, I have taken it upon myself to share with you some of the recent favourites I've been enjoying and hpefully inspire your next bowl/ mug/ cup/ saucepan (we've all done it :P) full of oats!!

Let's go!
Pictured above is one of my all-time down-right, no-questions-asked favourite oat combos. My cherry cheesecake oats!
I enjoyed these after a long run because cherries are known to help with recovery for runners... and mainly because they taste utterly amazing!!

Into the saucepan goes 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1 sliced banana, small handful frozen/ fresh cherries (fresh is mighty expensive here in Aus) 3/4 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup water- bubble away on medium, stirring occasionally until thickened to your liking- stir through a big spoon or two of greek yoghurt (or any yoghurt) and nom!
Of course, here is the evidence for you of my layering skills of nut butter- ensuring the perfect bite every single time! Myavers Food mixed nut and seed butter on the bottom and top and crunchy PB (shown above) in the middle- melty, warm, gooey- DELICIOUS!

Cherry Cheesecake Oats:
One of my other long-time favourites is my beloved vanilla protein banana oats:
The newest/ latest addition to these bad boys being zucchini! Zoats are actually so, so good and give my regular oatmeal mugs a different texture, whilst not even being tasted at all- instead absorbing all the yummy flavours I've added to the oats- it also adds more volume for a lot less- meaning I can eat more oats- WIN WIN!!
This bad boy was made by grating up 1/2 cup zucchini, into a saucepan with 1/2 heaped cup rolled oats, 3/4 sliced banana (rest for topping), 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder, 3/4 cup almond milk and 1/4 cup water- stirring every now and then until thickened and liquid absorbed- again topped and spread throughout with nut butter for that ultimate enjoyment!
Adding fresh bananas to the top of oats again just adds another different element and texture, keeps things interesting and come on, who doesn't love a big spoonful of fresh, sweet, creamy banana with some sweet, warm oats and some decadent nut butter- a winning combination!!

Diggin' in:
Happy, happy days!

Honestly- that zucchini though- you probably think I'm zucchini mad, what with putting handfuls of frozen zucchini in my smoothies and 'froyo' too, but it honestly goes by untraceable and if it means I can eat more and get in extra nutrients, vitamins, minerals and a serve of veggies at breakfast whilst thinking I'm eating a decadent dessert- so be it!
The obligatory spoon shots (how I reckon oatmeal looks it's most appealing)
Finally, yet another delicious favourite of mine:

The apple pie cheesecake oats!!
Again, so simple, so delicious, filled with so much goodness and tastes like your eating a truly scrumptious dessert for breakfast- so much happiness in one mug!
To make simply place 3/4-1 cup rolled oats in a saucepan with 3/4 chopped small apple (I just eat the rest whilst I'm cooking the oats), 1 small sliced banana, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional- ginger, nutmeg, or any other warming spices you would usually add to an apple pie)- bubble away on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apple has softened slightly and liquid is absorbed- stir through some greek yoghurt (to taste really- I probably put in 2 spoons), et voila!!
A big mug filled with warm, gooey, sweet, apple-y goodness!!
Generous amounts of nut butter a must.

And there you have it folks!

Just a few of the many ways I like to enjoy oats on the regular! Of course, that's only three of them- I haven't even mentioned my deep, resounding love of thick, chocolate-y protein oats that taste like a warm, gooey, rich, fudge brownie, or my super-purple blueberry oats, not to mention overnight oats, or a simple mug of plain oats with some chopped dates that I have for an afternoon snack sometimes!!

Oats are endless and you should definitely not write them off because you think they are boring or flavourless- EXPERIMENT! Try out new combos and try to recreate your favourite desserts with them- I've seen carrot cake oats, red velvet oats, tiramisu oats, pina colada oats, caramel oats, cookies and cream oats- there are unlimited possibilities!

So, take a leaf from my book and go to town on your oats this week- you just might create the ultimate flavour combination that the world has to know about!!

Your turn:
Do you like oatmeal?
Favourite way to eat it? Cold, hot, in a mug, bowl, saucepan etc.
Favourite flavour combo for your oats??

I hope you all have a super Friday, do something you love, smile lots, laugh and love even more and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...