Wednesday 12 October 2016

Shari's Berries Are Back!

Hidy-ho there folks and welcome back to the blog all about food, fitness, health an happiness!! Plus a little bit of random here and there. And sometimes some chats entirely dedicated to nut butters. Or just running. Sometimes I just ramble. On and on and on and on and on...

Alrighty- so moving right along!!

You may recall this post from a while back from the wonderful Shari's Berries on the importance and benefits of eating fruits in season along with an awesome chart showcasing the different fruits that are best suited to each season and taste their best when naturally grown and eaten then.

Fresh produce tastes so so so much better when eaten at the right time as that was how nature intended it, and let's be real, nature knows what it's doing. I have no doubt in my mind that the reason majority of kids dislike fresh produce is because they have only tried out of season stuff for the first time, experiencing a bland, watery, taste-less experience and deciding they don't like blueberries, or apricots, or plums, when if they had tried these sensational, incredible-tasting foods at their prime, I would guarantee they would have a significant change of heart!!

Anywho, the lovely Julissa who contacted me previously about the seasonal fruit chart (seriously, guys it is soooo helpful!!) sent through another email for me, this time with a chart (just as beautiful as the first) with an additional step-by-step picture guide on how to store fresh strawberries!
Now, I'll pass over the stage to Julissa who wrote up this great intro for the chart below:

Finding fresh and organic berries at your local market is always great. They look so good that you want to enjoy them right away but, perhaps you would like to save some for later as well.  Did you know there are several storage methods for strawberries that will help keep them fresh for up to two weeks? 

Shari's Berries created a helpful guide on how to store strawberries which includes 5 different methods -- and even two simple freezing ideas for later use such as smoothie bowls or sweet treats! The good news is that these methods work for any type of berry so you can enjoy them all year long!

This is another super helpful graph that makes preparing and keeping strawberries so easy to follow and with a step-by-step guide on the blog too- definitely a winner in my book (quite the visual learner I am!) And also; keeping strawberries for up to 2-weeks, without having to freeze/ dry out/ make into jam! Yes please, I always fall into the trap of buying way too many berries and trying to scoff them all down in the first few days before they start to get a little too ripe; so if I can prolong that time a bit more- naturally- that would be amazing!!


Now, thankfully for me, I have had the opportunity to taste berries when they are in season and have experienced that incredible taste myself which is why I'm so so thankful we are finally coming back into Summer here in Aus, so I can go back to enjoying my fresh strawberries, watermelon, mangoes, grapes- you name it, all the fruit I love!

Look, apples are great and all, but there are only so many apples one can eat in a week before the taste because a little on the... ordinary side.. :)

Alrighty, I hope you found this chart as helpful as I did and be sure to head on over to Shari's Berries blog to find heaps more articles with such great info laid out in such a colourful and appealing way!

Your turn:
What's your favourite Summer fruit?
What's your go to use for strawberries?
Any tips/ tricks about storing fresh food that I NEED to know about??

I hope you all have a lovely rest of your day, do something you love, do something kind for someone else and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...