Wednesday 19 October 2016

Scrambled Eggs!!... Without The Eggs?

What did the egg do when it saw the frying pan?
It scrambled!

Ha-HA-HA

HA

HAAAA

Ok, you know it's ridiculously funny when you're laughing at your own joke.

But in all seriousness, the eggs truly did scramble when I went to whip up my lunch the other day!

You see, I have come across vegan tofu scrambled eggs more times than I will ever be able to count on Instagram, Pinterest, Blogs, everywhere!! Tofu scramble is the new avocado craze (although the avo craze is still going proud and strong by my observations!!) and yet I hadn't jumped on board??

Well, my friends, to say I was not much of a fan of scrambled eggs as a kid growing up would be a slight understatement. I would see my sister whip them up for her breakfast toast every morning before school, or my mum scramble the heebie-jeebies out of them for an egg-y dinner and the colour, texture, slimy taste... it just did not do it for me! Poached, fried and boiled for me any day!

But if you have an excellent memory (or are my personal stalker, either way) you may remember this post when I suddenly ended up with the massive craving to whip up some scrambled eggs for lunch one day. And that I did. They hit the spot like nothing else ever has for some reason and so I just went with it.

So that part of the story is to say that I now do not have an irrational disgust of the fluffy pillows of scrambled goodness and now onto the tofu part:

I bought a block of hard tofu at the shops last week.

The end.

But truly, it was just sitting there in my fridge all like; 'Use me up Steph, I'm going to go off if you don't!'

And I was all like; 'Naww, ok little tofu block, I'll put you in a searing hot pan and then digest your little soul until...' Too far??

Anywho, after a morning weights sesh of back and chest which followed a long run day the day before, my body was crying out for one thing and one thing only. Protein. And thus I took it upon myself to remove that lonely little block of tofu from the fridge, give it a little rinse, break it up into ridiculously-similar-in-appearance-to-scrambled-eggs chunks and cooked up my very own version of tofu scrambled 'eggs'
And they didn't turn out too shabby either for an experimental creation!!

So, I thought I'd share the recipe (more like a make-it-up-as-I-go-along type thing) with you guys today so you too can whip up this high protein, highly nutritious, flavoursome, incredibly similar to scrambled eggs in the texture, vegan, oil-free scrambled tofu for yourselves!!

Here we go!

Vegan Oil-free Scrambled Tofu:

Ingredients:
1/2 block firm/ hard tofu (approx 125g)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (the more the better!!)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
optional- any veggies you'd like to add in; I popped in some chopped up green capsicum
water
Method:
1. Heat a non-stick fry-pan over medium heat. Rinse tofu with water and then dry with paper towel.
2. Place spices (not including nutritional yeast) into the heated frypan and stir for a few seconds until fragrant.
3. Using your hands, crumble in the tofu and stir around to coat in spices.
4. Add nutritional yeast, capsicum/ other veggies and a splash of water and then cook, stirring every so often until tofu becomes golden brown in colour and fragrant
5. Remove from pan and serve! Eaten hot/ cold- both amazing!!!
Of course, feel free to add oil instead of water for that richer flavour and healthy fats, however I just wasn't feeling it this particular day and wanted to give the option to everyone that this too can be made oil-free, water works just as well!!
eaten alongside some raw carrot sticks, mini roma tomatoes, sprouted beans and celery sticks, the warming, spicy tofu scramble was most definitely the stand-out of this lunch, but the crisp, fresh veggies added the perfect accompaniment to make that scramble shine!
Filled with so much protein (approximately the same amount as 2 scrambled eggs!), vitamins and minerals and offering the comfort of traditional scrambled eggs (without the butter/ cream/ milk/ cheese/ salt) this truly is a champion go-to meal when you feel like you need that protein boost and hit of deliciousness all in one!
I was quite chuffed with this meal and it definitely satisfied the hunger bug for a good few hours (which can be quite the miracle when it comes to the Steph-hunger-bug!)
Look, I'm not going to lie to you, it doesn't taste like scrambled eggs in the flavour department (how could it, it's not eggs, it has no cheese, or milk...) but the texture is freakishly similar, the warming spices add a hit of flavour no scrambled eggs I've eaten before ever did and even though not a direct copy, tofu scramble is delicious in it's own right- perhaps a more accurate term being tofu crumble/ golden tofu curry bites, whatever you call it, you will be pleasantly surprised by the tastiness that a humble block of tofu can bring to the table! :)
Now over to you:

Have you ever tried tofu scramble?
Favourite add-ins to your tofu-scramble/ egg-scramble?
Ever make scrambled eggs for dinner? I don't know if this was just a thing in my household but eggs on toast was quite the regular for me growing up, as were pancakes... and I loved it!

Alrighty, that's it from me today folks, have yourself a truly lovely day, do something you love, love LOVE to do, give someone a BIG BEAR HUG and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...