Saturday 24 September 2016

Long Time No...Pancakes?? :P

Hi there friendly friends!!

Long time, no see! This has been one whirlwind of a week and alas I still have half of my exams to go (before I even start thinking about my actual, actual finals in October/ November!!) but luckily I have this week to study hard and jump back into my last 3 exams the following week... it's going to be fun that's for sure!

However it does free up a tiny bit of time for me to catch my breath and also BLOG!!

So today I thought I would share with you my ultimate breakfast from yesterday, which was the designated long run Saturday, in which I logged up 17km into the legs before 8:00am and very much required a substantial, nourishing, utterly delicious breakfast to refuel my fasted body!

*note to add; not sure what shin splints feel like but I have got a sort of soreness on the outside of one of my shins and am hoping this is not shin splints and will go away with a little break from low-intensity steady long running

Enter the ultimate Breakfast of Champions: PANCAKES!!

Now, not only are these pancakes (need I say more) but they also just so happen to be wheat free, sugar free, vegan, wholegrain pancakes that will leave your tummy feeling so warm and fuzzy and nourish your body from the inside out!

Made with the goodness of wholegrain oats, wholemeal spelt flour, banana and more these pancakes are so easy to whip up (especially with a handy blender on the go) and can literally be made in such a short amount of time that I would happily enjoy these on any day of the week.

Soft, chewy, sweet, delicious, banana-y pancakes topped with ALL the nut butter and also a side of black berry fro yo (frozen blackberries, frozen zucchini (about an equal amount of each- handful) and greek yoghurt, whizzed until smooth and creamy) and a very very happy smiling Steph.

Your body needs breakfast my friends. It feeds off substantial whole carbs, fresh fruits and veg with vitamins and minerals and fats and proteins for brain development, muscle recovery and simply all recovery. Even if you don't exercise pre-breakfast; brekky sets you up for your entire day and thus anything you want to crush will only be crushable with a substantial nourishing breakfast!

Ok, enough chatter, I know you all want to recipe for these bad boys and I want to give them to you so you can experience the mouth-watering aroma and taste-bud loving taste of these 'cakes:

Wholegrain Vegan Cinnamon Banana Pancakes:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon maca powder (optional- can add a scoop of protein powder or any powder you like; or commit altogether!)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 banana
1/2-3/4 cup almond milk/ any milk/ water
Any toppings you so desire (I used the other half of my banana and some crunchy PB and Mayors Choc nut spread- SO GOOD!)

Method:
1. Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth and combined (Vitamin came in handy for this one!)
2. Place a large frypan over medium heat and spray with oil (any type)
3. Pour mix into mug/ jug and pour/ spoon in small pancake rounds onto the pan
4. Leave to cook on one side, watching bubbles on the top and then scoot a flipper around the edges to free them up and FLIP! Cook on the other side until golden brown
5. Place on paper towel to drain away some of the oil and then top with whatever topping you desire/ whip up a fro-yo with frozen fruit and greek yoghurt to go with your delicious pancakes!

And there you have it! Beautifully golden brown, crisp on the outside, warm and gooey on the inside, sweet, vegan cinnamon banana pancakes to nourish your body with the goodness of wholegrain, natural ingredients and no processed sugars, refined carbs or heavy creams/ other ingredients typically found in your standard pancake. Truly is a breakfast of champs!

Your turn:
What is your favourite pancake recipe?
Favourite add-ins to pancakes? i'm always a fan of protein powders, raw cacao, berries, dates... the list goes on and on!
One big pancake or lots of little ones? As a child I only had one big ones, now I much prefer cute little spikelet sized ones (also a lot easier to flip, especially when making vegan ones!!)

I hope you all have an utterly splendid Sunday, eat to nourish and fuel your body for all the wonderful things you want to do, give your body adequate rest (something I definitely need to work on) and don't feel guilty about it and if in doubt; whip up a batch of delicious healthy pancakes! Oh and as always; EAT SOMETHING DELICIOUS!! Bye for now friendly friends! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...