Friday 3 July 2015

Weight training?

Hey there everyone! It's Saturday (insert happy dance)!!
I have an interesting topic to discuss today and it all came about as a result of a bit of an achy hip. (yep, I know, I'm a grandma.)

In all seriousness though, I knew that something just wasn't quite right with my hip and my every-second-day running did not seem to be helping.

I felt a little dis-heartened at first because I (like I'm sure many other people can relate) suffer from the inability to truly listen and honour my body when it comes to exercising. Food, not a problem- if I'm hungry I will fill the tank! If my leg hurts and it's run day... chances are I'll still try to run.

However I've come a long way in this aspect of my life which is why I only felt a little bit disheartened when the pain just wasn't budging (warning sign for an on-coming injury people!). The majority of me started to feel a little tug of...excitement?

Strange, you may say? Well let me just back track a little. I'd always admired those blogs with women who did crazy bad-ass stunts in their cross-fit training, or lifted heavy weights with ease. To me they were strong and powerful and fierce. So when I woke up Tuesday morning of last week, I brought up a website with some weight lifting instructions, exercises and repetitions and gave it a go!
All up I think I spent around 30-40 mins with 4.6kg dumbbells doing bicep curls, shoulder presses, bench presses, kneeling one arm row, squats etc. By the third round of 8-10 reps of each, my arms were jelly!

It felt awesome though!

The day after my muscles did ache but I felt good (and so did my hip!) and I can't wait to add another weights day into my routine soon!

Something else I noticed from this adventure? My hunger was in full swing for the rest of that day and also the following days to come. I don't know if it was simply a coincidence or the weight exercises, but I was hungry and needed to add an extra scoop of nut butter/ hommus/ veggie here and there to tame the beast!

2 days later and this was my gigantor breakfast to try and quieten the hanger:
A big bowl of blueberry cheesecake rolled oats topped (and swirled throughout) with crunchy peanut butter with WATER! (I generally seem to wake up ridiculously thirsty)

I'm not gonna lie to you. When I finished this bowl I was still hungry.
I decided to let my stomach settle though, as I had inhaled the bowl, and after a while it seemed pretty content. :)

This morning my legs were feeling pretty good, so I hopped on the treadmill with my trusty blogger friends blog posts for entertainment (read: not dying of boredom on the treadmill) and ran my little heart out for 30mins until I was nice and sweaty and smelly and gorgeous. You can read more about the glamorous-ness that is running in this post- hilarious!

Following this... well you guessed it- I was STARVING! I was also in the mood for something smooth, creamy, refreshing and yet also some crunch.

You know what I'm talking about.

Tropical green smoothie:
Frozen mango + frozen pineapple + spinach + greek yoghurt + water
Topped with granola:
 = Smoothie bowl!
Y.U.M
And that's pretty much been life a la exercise and food!

Your turn:
Do you do weight training?
If so, do you also include running in the mix?
Favourite foods to eat when hangry? Mine has to be full of healthy fats and delicious, or else it will not satisfy!

I hope you all have a fabulous day, enjoy your weekend and hopefully free time, relax, eat something delicious and SMILE! bye for now friends!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...