Sunday 17 May 2015

Lemon and Oatmeal? YES!

Hello, hello everyone!
Do you remember way back in August last year (those without a photographic memory may find this a little challenging ;) when I posted a recipe for orange and poppy seed oat bran?
I know I do- because that recipe rocked my world!
As a kid my fav muffin mix to make was orange and poppy seed (yes, from the packet. Hey, I was a kid!) and more often than not, I even preferred the pre-cooked mix to the muffins any way. So I made an orange and poppy seed oat bran to bring me back to the days of scooping out big spoons of the orange and poppy seed cake batter. Ahh the good ol' days.
Just looking at a pic of these muffins makes my mouth salivate!
So can you believe that since August last year I have not added a single drop of citrus to my oats? What am I- crazy!?!
Thankfully my brain reminded me about how good it was by gifting me with a craving for some creamy, lemony oats for breakfast one morning.
I also had an almost empty jar of mixed nut butter too- WIN!
This my friends is a small snippet of bliss. Sweet, lemony, creamy, goodness.
It would be cruel of me not to share the recipe with you!!

Luscious Lemon cake oatmeal:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 small lemon, zested
1/2 of above lemon- juice
1 medium sized and slightly over-ripe banana
1/4 vanilla seed pod, scarped (or just add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup water

Method:
1. In a medium saucepan place the oats, lemon zest,  juice, thinly sliced banana, vanilla seeds, almond milk and water and stir to combine
2. Cook on medium heat, stirring every so often for about 10 mins or so- or when all the liquid is absorbed
3. Pour into bowl/ mug/ almost empty jar of nut butter and leave to cool for at least 10 mins (It will thicken a bit too :)
4. ENJOY! Top with anything you like- nut butter tasted great, I'm sure coconut butter would taste phenomenal and really anything that goes well with lemon! Go crazy!!
The yellow spoon seemed appropriate. I do like matching my spoon colours to what I'm currently eating.
Seriously though, try this oatmeal- you won't be disappointed!
Simple and delicious- my favourite type of breakfast!

What about you:
What was your favourite muffin flavour as a kid?
Did you prefer the muffin mix, or the cooked muffin? I always thought the mix tasted soooo good, making sure to never put all of it in the tins so I could eat some while they cooked :) I'm pretty sure my brother once just made up a mix of brownies to eat the mix from the bowl, with no intention of the cooking them ;)
Ever put citrus in your oats? I love adding citrus to smoothies too- awesome tropical flavour!

That's it from me today folks- I hope you all have an awesome day and eat something yummy! Bye friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...