Monday 25 May 2015

How competition has reignited the running bug!

 Hello everybody!

Around a month ago I wrote a post about how my running was suffering. Or, more accurately, how I was suffering because of my running. I was running ridiculous distances for a ridiculous amount of time and as a result was starting to feel.. ridiculous. I could tell I was become obsessive, addicted, needy to having to run these looong runs every second day.

At first I felt great. My body was coping fine and this shocked me! I remember my injury from last year after running 6km distances- being told that was too far (and it was, at the time) and thinking; 'Psshh, look what I can run now!'

And then life caught up with me. I couldn't outrun the fatigue, the muscle tiredness, the general dreading of going to bed early to wake up before the sun had even considered rising for the day.It became harder and harder to pull myself from my bed, lace up my shoes and then continue to run. And run. And run!

So I stopped.

Well that's not entirely true. I took a short break and then decreased my mileage significantly in preparation for the cross country race (only 3km) that was coming up for school (did I mention I got Champion girl? I'm sorry, I just can't get over this!!)

And then....

MAGIC! My love for running returned!! HAZAAAA

I was running much shorter distances for training (Tuesday and Friday mornings) however the entire hour of those trainings kicked. my. but! They were so intense. Sprint exercises, beach runs, longer runs, intervals etc. It was challenging... but awesome! I enjoyed waking up bright and early (or, dark and early, as was the case) and looked forward to training and sweating and crying and dying and... haha ok, I'm definitely exaggerating here. Slightly. ;)

I don't know what it is but there is something about a little competition flowing through my veins that pumps up my heart, takes over my legs and brings back that feeling of flying that only running can give me.

It sort of reminds me of my dance concerts. After a year of practicing and practicing the same routines over and over again and doing the same tireless exercises, I felt like stopping dancing for good. Then the end of year concert rolled round, I had the time of my life and my love of dance returned!

These events in my life make me realise and distinguish between when I'm doing the things I'm doing because I love them, or when I'm doing the things I'm doing just to... do them? Running has given me so much, but also taken so much from me and I feel like that has to stop. I want to make a promise to myslef that I will keep- I want to promise myself that if I'm ever at the stage again when I literally dread going out there and pounding the pavement, that I won't because from past experience I know this does me no good!

Right now however? I'm lovin' it! The big interschool cross country carnival is coming up this Thursday and the nerves/ excitement are leaving me with a huge grin plastered across my face. In a team with a bunch of awesome girls, running competitively to represent our school... the running bug is back BABY!

What about you?
Do you have periods in your life when running just isn't happening?
Do you take a break in these periods?
Does competition make things 10000X more awesome/ exciting for you?

I hope you enjoyed reading about my experience with this little hurdle of my life and if you have had the same experience/ have an tips/ comments- feel free to leave them below!! Have a fabulous day friends- do something you love :) Bye !! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...