Saturday 21 March 2015

Rhubarb crumble for breakfast!

Hi everyone! What a gloriously glorious Sunday! You know how much I love a good Sunday and more often than not, it's because of the awesome breakfast I create with the seemingly ridiculous amount of time only present on Sunday (and sometimes Saturday... depending on my run length/ how early we have to leave for grocery shopping)

So after my sleep in (you know my sleep in is 6:30am :) and a fun (read; challenging) Purely Twins workout...
I spent a little extra time lounging about in my bed, scrolling through blogs- because it's SUNDAY! :)

Then I got up and headed to the kitchen... I had some rhubarb calling my name!

In the past (if you've been reading that long) you may have remembered my take on a rhubarb crumble. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Which was probably one of the driving forces of my second rhubarb crumble creation- with a few changes.
Into my mini saucepan went 1 1/2 sticks of chopped rhubarb and half a banana, plus 2 tablespoons of water.
Heated up and bubbled away for about 15 mins:
Poured into my mini loaf tin:
Of course everyone knows the best part of a crumble is the crumble itself. I have never been much of a fan of the filling of crumbles and when I was younger I would generally just eat the buttery crumble on top anyway. So, to this day, I always make a heck-of-a-lot!
1/2 heaped cup muesli with 2 tablespoons of slightly warmed peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of almond butter rubbed in.
I had the strangest thought while pouring my muesli into the bowl. I looked down at the bowl of muesli and remembered that a couple of years ago this would have been my breakfast (swapping muesli for sugary cereal) and today this was simply the beginning of the top of my crumble. As well as a green smoothie to wash everything down!

I remembered back to that time, the fatigue, weight loss, sleep problems, emotional problems and can now see how large and significant a role food plays in our health. In our lives. In everything! Bring on the big brekky's!
Topping my mixture off with the generous pile of crumble to be popped into the oven (180 degrees celsius) for 15-20 mins until golden on top:
If I could transfer the smell of this beauty through the computer screen I would. You would drool. I am drooling. We would all be happily drooling together. Nice.
After letting this bad boy cool for around 15 mins (longest 15 minutes of my life) it was time to eat!
As mentioned before- eaten with a side of green smoothie. 1/2 frozen banana (took half the frozen banana and cut up the other half of the unfrozen and wrapped it up with the remaining half frozen to re-equal a whole. Got that?) + a big handful frozen green grapes + 2 big handfuls kale+ 3 big scoops greek yoghurt+ 1/4 cup water- whazzed!
Happy, happy [Sun]days
If you don't have much of a sweet tooth (like me) this sweetness would be perfect, if you like the sweeter side of things I would recommend using the whole banana in the rhubarb mix and also a fruity muesli (mine was fruit-free)
Yeah, one of the main reasons I probably love this so much is the beautiful colour of rhubarb. :D

Super full right now- in the best possible way!

What about you?
Favourite type of crumble? Mine is probably a tie between rhubarb and berry!
Best part of a crumble?
What did you have for breakfast today?

Make sure you have a wonderful, relaxing and delicious Sunday- I know I will! See you guys later! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...