Monday 23 March 2015

Preparation made easy!

Hidy-ho folks!
How's the week been treating you so far?
Mines been pretty decent. Decent food (we all know that's a lie- AWESOME food!) Decent school days, decent amount of homework, decent amount of time to relax...
Ok- they're all lies! I'm not saying school is bad, I'm saying the amount of work we tackle each day is almost comical. Almost. And the level of homework can only be described as horrendous and what even is relaxation? It's probably hanging out somewhere with the life that left me after starting year 11. Sigh.
One would think with all that complaining, I have no time to even butter a piece of bread let alone cook my breakfasts, lunches and dinners, right?

Wrong.

Food is one area in my life that I take very seriously, because I know how I can feel if I let my nutrition slip. Not good. So even though it takes a little extra effort and time- I do it. Planning ahead is my saviour, so here are a few of my sneaky tricks:

Egg bakes:

An egg bake is so easy to whip up and make ahead. It lasts well and tatses even better cold the next day anyway!
My typical recipe goes a little something like this:
2 eggs
1 heaped cup veggies (chopped capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, corn, peas, kale, onion- whatever I have on hand really)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic
optional- spices (I alternate between mexican spices and simply paprika, or cumin, stuff like that)

Whisked altogether and then poured into two ramekins to bake in the oven (180 degrees celsius) for 30 mins- until set.

Hello lunch!

Seeing as you already have the oven on, you may as well prepare something for brekky the following day, too!
Baked oatmeal is my friend!
So simple to make and perfect for a make-in-advance meal!
I simply place my ingredients for making oatmeal (this was choc oatmeal)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teapsoon chia seeds
1 scoop choc protein powder
1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
1 thinly sliced banana
a few big dashes of cinnamon
1 cup almond milk
into a saucepan on medium heat, stirring continuously until most of the liquid has been absorbed and then pouring into a greased ramekin/ mini loaf pan and baking for 45 mins at 180 degrees celsius until firm. Remove from ramekin, leave to cool completely and then place in container in the fridge until required.
Required:
I heated my chocolatey bake up in the microwave for 30 seconds with some peanut butter... :)
Done and done:

Roasted veggies are always a really awesome way to prep ahead and ensure a tasty lunch the following day:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh1TtaDa8r5oErQw816_4beKVFSVVj4H4gSGAQvFBrziaZywbQA898sUH6eCrw5iYFNa-qMesq_q_ZHHySyhg1VLGhCreKrbIfFYCVmPSyvvRSqFoW49aYz4xwS-KfajafVCPJWBl-oOsWW/s1600/IMG_9146.JPG
Super-simple, yet again, chopped potato, white sweet potato, baby carrots, beetroot, parsnip and pumpkin drizzled in oil and roasted at 180 degrees celsius for 45mins-1 hour.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhINyrWCc59t43P4XxnqbkZ1jRZmwF8Xqe5mEzszJizMhGnXkDLNMJ6QjG9PKjn72FtxJZauVdXlpa35yk2dSW1If15uNtDmJvTsACulbeR1tdBi3691A3HBElSFKZVbXE2NCYs369eSGlZ/s1600/IMG_9153.JPG
Whacked into a container with some spinach and garlic tofu- job done!!
Lastly, another make-ahead brekky that just tastes so good!
Make ahead truffles:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjezZMwPMlRQ5R9dbmTcuWrUjXFuD_KYvvkt2832nc6everJDuQQgFdSRH4cYnOUJ9Fclp-81LFDilq7GtgII9J2ZjTI8yJbpBgOHVom7dU07xlt43mQVHfyZ6oUsbsZG9VhvWtSYkmSY3W/s1600/IMG_9143.JPG
Sorry about the side ways pic... tilt your head to the left and it should be fine!
These particular truffles were fudgey, banana-y, almond butter-y balls of epic-ness. yep.
Throw into a bowl:
1/2 cup muesli
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 mashed banana (freeze other half)

Melt together in microwave for 20 seconds, then add to bowl:

1-2 tablespoons almond butter (I did closer to two ;)
2 tablespoons milk (I used almond milk)

Wet your hands, roll-y roll and place in a container for the freezer:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg75jjj_wbo6diJ4CeV0N9Hz6CX5pBsyYlT0Xte0kIAoF0z9e1bTR6yZDZlPghks1qec-2kaNna4JFdFK52gyyj1Ai1jXpxebyXMfPzETvdvZJRvdiUwV84UtZ4asVUNBKO5DOtRlD4y8JV/s1600/IMG_9144.JPG
When ready to eat, remove from freezer for 20-30 mins and then enjoy!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiy4xKO_PV9K5pmtsHb9EoQPf2brx5bW6tZHh1Ei7y86pPsQMcGGgMM4kpOHGP1v0tPxVcS4hynPdJW7N-EAOsS7ZOawZ7oy7ouTGo9qz7u7zcD131sGhAPOWsJJkNkrtgoczWrujA1vOiO/s1600/IMG_9154.JPG
I had mine after a long run with some banana fro-yo (1/2 the leftover frozen banana+ 3 big scoops greek yoghurt) and it hit. the. spot!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhc1lK_5U0BL61Uib543C4Bu4ztCxjySCa9KQS8UlLNYhX-IJ9FkJHAI6V00V_qco-4F9TSRyiwVIg-wDo9io5wypijOc66mfRM6obpym5v0okL6cWHsrRzYoZhN_qbQFpZ0av-TOdy4HKW/s1600/IMG_9156.JPG
:)
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj9zvU31i-BtNrmnp9GrOspv0TTLWlRhqeNMhm0Bs_LJUSRIWq8WBrulqBq4FzT6FhLh69oNKnludfQe7cMmQhzAHvsnf7YlAxCKQKAeBlGT2gTu1DtRK0927dz5kD_kKrfi58NyGqXSOXw/s1600/IMG_9158.JPG


That is how I manage to get through each day ensuring my meals are filled with all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients my hectic lifestyle requires! Also, I wouldn't be happy with a Vegemite sandwich for lunch and a bowl of cereal for brekky.... that's another reason I have to prep in advance! Standards people!

What about you?
Do you ever have to prep in advance?
Awesome things that last overnight/ longer?
Fan of baked oatmeal? It took me a while to get on the baked oatmeal train... but now I love it!


That's it from me today folks (gotta run! As usual!) so I hope I have gifted you with some inspiration if you're ever in a time pickle and want need something tasty. Have a fabulous day! Bye! :D

2 comments:

  1. For the baked eggs...is the recipe given to make two ramekins or is the recipe just make one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe makes two!! (Happy Steph) and they even puff up a little in the oven :)
    Steph 2 chef xx

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...