Saturday 14 February 2015

Scrolls... Mmmm

Howdy folks! Who's having a good day! All of you? Great! (I assume ;) For some reason my morning's going pretty well and.... drum roll... I have a recipe for today!! Yay!

I was thinking to myself the other day about all of my favourite foods before I cut back on sugar/ wheat/ dairy, remember some of the good and the bad... and the ugly (hello mass volumes of sugary juice and iced tea and nutella with a side of toast) and as I was scrolling (pun= so not intended!) a few images of happy food memories popped up. One was out with friends at the shopping center, stopping for sustenance at a doughnut shop and buying my absolute favourite- cinnamon scroll. The other was at school excursions/ athletics/ swimming carnival days, opening my lunch to find a Baker's Delight Cheesymite scroll.

Never had I realised just how much I liked scrolls! So this morning for breakfast I wanted oatmeal! a scroll! I was feeling the cinnamon too (seriously I have a cinnamon problem!!)

Half an hour later I was sitting down to this:
An oven baked, warm, ooey, gooey scroll, encased in crumbly 'pastry' with a sweet oozing filling generously spiked with soul-warming cinnamon.

How's that for a description? I didn't even mention that it is vegan, wheat free, egg+ dairy free, refined sugar free with only natural ingredients-   boo-ya!

Wanna know how to make it? Of course you do!

Ingredients:
40g wholemeal spelt flour
10g flax flakes (or simply add 5g more of rolled oats)
10g oat bran
15g rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Sprinkle of chia seeds
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
optional- 1/2 tablespoon psyllium husks

Filling:
3/4 medium banana
1 heaped teaspoon cinnamon (more/ less depending on preference) 
1 teaspoon coconut oil

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees clesius and line a tray with baking paper
2. Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl for the 'pastry' and stir together. Add the milk and stir together until the mixture starts to form a ball (add more milk if necessary). Leave to sit for about 5 minutes:
3. Make the filling by mashing up the banana and then adding the cinnamon and coconut oil and stirring to combine:
4. Flatten the casing mixture between your hands and then continue to flatten out on baking tray (may need to sprinkle with flour) until it is long and thin:
5. Spread on the filling and carefully roll up into a scroll:
6. Bake for around 12-15 minutes until outside is hard and slightly golden:
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for around 5 minutes and then cut in half and enjoy!!
These are probably most divine eaten warm from the oven, but I'm sure eaten cold would be just as good too! Also- coconut oil. Why don't I use this more often? Y.U.M!
Also, I think next time they need a glaze like my childhood favourite cinnamon scrolls from the doughnut shop. Melted coconut butter anyone?
Healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast and delicious enough to make any morning a good one!
They may not taste exactly like the ones I used to savour and unravel bit by bit, but different doesn't mean worse- it means differently delicious!
I mean check out that cinnamon action!
I didn't unravel this one bit by bit though.... I was a little too hungry for that guys! It was breakfast- I had spent half an hour cooking this- I was ready to eat it!
Well, I may have unraveled the end bits :)

Ahh, there's nothing like the feeling of a partly-digested cinnamon scroll sitting in your tummy (wow. Just wow Steph)

Your turn:
What are/ were some of your favourite foods that may not be the best for you?
Favourite doughnut/ favourite scroll?
Do you ever unravel your food/ pull apart your biscuits (sorry Oreos) / take it all apart? For some reason some foopds taste better for me when I do that- weird..

I hope you all have a lovely relaxed Sunday! Bye friends! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...