Thursday 8 January 2015

Spaghetti Squash... NACHOS!

Hi everyone! Happy Friday!
As you may remember, just recently I stumbled -ever so... ecstatically- over the last spaghetti squash (and first spaghetti squash I've ever seen in Aus) on my super markets shelf! 

So that night for dinner I split it in half (seriously I must have super human strength now or something.. because that was hard!) and roasted it up, wrapping the other half in glad wrap for another day.

Yesterday was another day!

Into an oven set at 180 degrees celsius, on a tray lined with baking paper, rubbed with a bit of olive oil....
Went the other half of my spaghetti squash! Roasted up until nice and tender (around 5-50 minutes)
Then gently broken up into strands with a fork.
I made some 'taco mince' to go in my squash boat with 125g mixed four bean tin, 2 scoops of drained lentils, small handful chopped capsicum, 3-4 chopped cherry tomatoes, a couple of shakes of reduced salt taco seasoning and about 1/3- 1/2 cup water, all stirred together in a fry pan over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then I threw in some shredded spinach and coriander:
And topped off my spaghetti squash with it!
Then sort of mushed it into the spaghetti a bit.
The next layer was some vegan cheese that I heated for 30 seconds in the microwave prior to drizzling on my squash.
To finish it all of in typical Mexican flavour style:
Avocado!
Guys, if I could somehow trap the smell from this meal and send it to you all... gaahhh!
Lunch was ready!!
I seriously love the taste of the 'spaghetti from the squash just as is- plain and simple, but I knew I had to make the most of my last half as I'm not sure when/ if I'll ever see one of these spectacular things again!
Of course a Mexican flavoured spaghetti squash is pretty good too ;)
Yes, I would add this to the other 42796 reasons I want to move to America when I'm older. It's just too good!
It's meals like these that make me question how I ever managed to hate avocado. How Steph? How? It adds so much flavour and creaminess and coolness to the spicy beans and is the perfect accompaniment with the flavourful vegan cheese.
Ahh, well I'll just have to make up for lost time by eating ALL of the avocados. And dates. And pesto :)
Now just a second to appreciate the awesome-ness that is spaghetti squash. In all of it's glory:
Well done nature. Well done.:D

Your turn:
Do you like spaghetti squash?
Favourite way to eat it?
Avocados- yay or nay?

That's it from me today! See ya later everyone! Have a great day! Give someone you haven't hugged in a while a hug! :D

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite fast and healthy weeknight meals is potato nachos baked in the oven. In particular, sweet potato nachos! I've actually had something similar to this spaghetti squash dish too, but it wasn't called nachos. It did have salsa and avocado and an egg baked on top! It was so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylin,
    I guess these aren't really nachos the flavour just reminded me so much of nachos! I love topping potatoes and sweet potatoes with this kind of stuff too :)
    Steph 2 chef x

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...