Tuesday 30 September 2014

French toast

Hello, hello! How have we all been good? Did you have a good brekky? Are you super full with a little smile playing across your lips?
Or is that just me?

When I was looking through some blogs, I came across the athletic avocado and this amazing french toast recipe. I knew I would be making that in the very near future.

Very near future:
I made a few tweaks to the recipe to suit my own tastes and also what I had on hand.
Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
2 slices of bread (I used my home-made wholemeal spelt bread)
1 mashed banana
1 big scoop of nut butter (I used cashew butter)
1 egg
1/3 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling at the end)

Method:
1. Using a rolling pin roll out your bread slices so they are thinner and longer. I placed mine between some paper towel, but it got kind of stuck- so if you have a better way please let me know.
2. Whisk together in a small bowl the egg, milk and cinnamon:
3. Set up your work station: So organised!
 Bread spread with cashew butter and banana:
 Egg mixture at the ready:
 Right next to a pre-heating fry-pan sprayed lightly with oil
4. After spreading on the nut butter then banana, carefully roll up and squish down slightly to seal.
5. Place in egg mixture bowl and turn to coat. Immediately place in frypan and do the same with the other slice of bread:
I would recommend placing the opening down on the poan first to seal it even better. Then keep turning with tongs or a spatual for a few minutes until golden brown all over.
6. Remove from pan and lightly sprinkle with extra cinnamon! Voila!
I served mine with some berry fro-yo (a handful of frozen berries whazzed up with 3 scoops of greek yoghurt:
Now I was never really a fan of french toast, I always thought it tasted kind of funny. That might have been because my parents didn't really eat it or make it when I was younger, so when I went to a friends house for a sleepover and had it for breakfast, my eyes were opened to the yumminess that is french toast. I just haven't made it since then (maybe 4 years ago) but now that has been resolved!
I love that they're roll-ups and not your typical french toast slice of bread.. makes eating them so much more fun!

This was a sad, yet utterly enjoyable last bite..
Also I would say the only way to truly enjoy this is to have an eating companion. Preferably one who stands 30cm away and whines at you.

No, sorry Ash... but don't you remember?
I think french toast will definitely bve making an appearance very soon on this blog again.. maybe a vegan version! Or a pumpkin one... or berry.. or choc coconut.. oh my goodness the possibilites are endless!

Do you like french toast?
Do you like to share food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...