Saturday 16 August 2014

ORANGE AND POPPYSEED...

Hey guys! It's recipe time!
I'm super excited about this one!
When I was younger, cuter and even weirder, my favourite type of cake/ muffin was always orange and poppy seed. Always.
When mum went to the grocery store each weekend she would bring home a chocolate muffin box mix for my brother and an orange and poppy seed one for me. (See, I have always been a chef ;) For some reason, bro and I always managed to 'fill' our muffin tins with about half our mixture still in the bowl... hmmm. Yes, my favourite part about these orange and poppy seed muffins was the raw mixture. My older and more mature self is now cringing with the knowledge of eating raw egg :/

So... that's what prompted this breakfast experiment- recreating the awesomeness that is raw orange and poppy seed cake, minus the raw eggs!

What better way to do that then with Orange and Poppy seed OAT BRAN!

Orange and poppy seed oat bran
Ingredients
1/2 cup (28g) oat bran
1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
zest of 1/2 an orange
1-2 tablespoons of squeezed orange juice (I used 1 1/2)
1 banana very thinly chopped
1 cup milk of choice (I used oat milk)
optional- coconut butter (please put this in!)

Method:
1. Gather ingredients:
2. Place it all in a medium sauce pan (except the coconut butter- stir that in at the end)
 3. Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir with a spatual/ wooden spoon until it starts to thicken.
4. Once it has thickened (after about 2-4 mins) switch to a whisk and whisk like a crazy maniac until the banana has almost entirely disappeared and the mixture has thickened to the consistency of your liking (this took about 1-2 mins of whisking for me)
5. Stir in coconut butter (if using) and leave to sit for about 10 mins to cool and enhance the flavours!
6. Enjoy! (I enjoyed mine with some sliced apple topped with greek yoghurt and lots of cinnamon :)
 I also added a touch more milk to the top- just coz I like it :D
 I seriously think I'm immune to cinnamon- I could put bucket loads on anything- it's like my salt (which I guess is a positive?)
This oatbran is so freaky the way it tastes exactly like the mixture I used to make (and spoon straight into my mouth) as a child= HAPPY STEPH!

What was your favourite cake as a child? (Were you like my brother- CHOCOLATE!)

I hope everyone has a fabulous Sunday.... I do like Sundays :)
Bye for now! :D

2 comments:

  1. okay I was in LOVE with lemon poppyseed and I love making new recipes out of them now! :) I love this healthy version too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow lemon poppyseed lover!! I seriously forgot how much I used to love this flavour until I recreated it again! :)
      Steph 2 chef xx

      Delete

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...