Friday 18 April 2014

Middle Eastern Marvels!

For some reason yesterday, the majority of meals I ate were Middle Eastern.. Whaaa? Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe I really wanted that type of food- either way, my taste buds and tummy were happy!
Starting with lunch (because lunch comes before dinner) I made myself a big, flavourful Middle Eastern inspired bowl of yumminess:
Oooooh yeh!
So, I have another step by step instruction guide (in picture form for you!)
Ingredients:
about 1 cup chopped root veggies ( I used potato, parsnip and sweet potato)
handful of spinach
1 tablespoon hommus + a splash of milk (soy milk)
1/4 cup cous cous
1 teaspoon middle eastern spice blend ( I used the Turban chopsticks one)
1 small tin of mixed four beans
small handful of cherry tomatoes
Half a beetroot peel to produce strips

Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
2. Cover beetroot in a bit of oil:
2. Place on baking tray and bake for 15-20 mins until slightly brown and a bit crispy
3. Steam chopped veggies until nice and soft (20 mins)
4. Meanwhile place cous cous, spices and 1/4 cup of boiling water in a bowl, stir to combine and cover with a plate.
5. Drain and rinse four beans, after 5 mins check cous cous, fluff with fork and add beans:
6. When your beetroot is ready, remove from oven and place on paper towel:
7. Place the tomatoes on the baking tray and crank up the heat to 220 degrees celsius, place in oven for 10-12 mins until wrinkly and slightly charred.
8. Once veggies are soft, place in bowl:
and mash!
Add in hommus, milk and stir to combine- should be nice and creamy ( I also added some nutritional yeast for extra cheesy flavour)

9. Remove tomatoes from oven when ready, now it's time to layer on up!
Bowl:
Spinach:
Mash:
Cous cous:
Tomatoes:
Beetroot:
Voila! Enjoy!

Then dinner rolled round and guess what- more Middle Eastern inspired food!
This was super simple- and no I did not do a step by step picture instruction guide!
You simple roast some pumpkin in the oven (180 degrees celsius for about 30 mins), steam some greens ( I used brussel sprouts, broccoli and peas) and create this yummy salsa!
Salsa:
1/4 cup cubed eggplant
1/4 cup diced capsicum
3 cherry tomatoes chopped
3 button mushrooms chopped
handful of spinach
1/4 cup chilli tofu, chopped
tomato salsa stirred in

Method:
1. In a frypan place some oil garlic and the chopped veggies over high heat and keep tossing and stirring until all the veggies are tender, stir in spinach and salsa- serve!


Y-U-M!
Yesterday was pretty tasty- who knows maybe today with be Indian? Or Mexican! I love Mexican! Oh no! I'm going Italian (PIZZA AND PASTA BABY!)
Any way- I hope you guys have a fabulous weekend and maybe try out a different cuisine ( although Australian is pretty good- I mean we have twisties and tim tams guys!)
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...