Friday 28 March 2014

Brilliant Bowls

For some reason I seem to like eating all my meals out of bowls. I don't know why :)
Lucky for you, those meals end up tasting pretty good too, so you get some new yummy recipes!
Dinner the other night featured...
Pasta! My kind of pasta!

Veggie packed and full of flavour- this was a yummy dinner!
Ingredients:
100g dried wholemeal pasta- or as much as you want
chopped root veggies- whatever type and as much as you want ( I had pumpkin, beetroot, parsnip, sweet potato and regular potato. About 4 bits of each)
3/4 can tinned tomatoes (or more if you have lots of the first two ingredients)
2 button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon pine nuts
2 tablespoons lentils
1 teaspoon Italian herbs mix ( or just oregano, basil etc)
BIG handful of spinach

Method:
1. Chop and steam veggies for about 20 mins
2. Cook pasta as to directions on packet ( usually around 8 minutes in boiling water) Drianing it a few minutes before al dente
3. Drain pasta, add tinned tomatoes, herbs, lentils and mushrooms and bring to simmer
4. Let sauce thicken ( If it has thickened, add some water) for about 5 mins
5. Add steamed veggies, pine nuts and spinach to saucepan and stir until spinach is wilted ( 1 min)
6. Pour into bowl- if you have leftovers, wait for it to cool then pop it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow- it's yummy
7. ENJOY!
It's not your typical spaghetti bolognaise, but to me- it's so much better!
Speaking of easy, veggie- filled school lunches...
This was a delicious one I made this week with brown rice, corn, avocado, babay cucumber, tomato, carrot, capsicum and mixed salad leaves.
Of course I had to ditch my beloved bowl for a container- but it was still pretty much the same thing:

Then I made:
A yummy black eyed bean and barley salad, with leftover cooked barley and black eyed beans, spinach and homemade salsa - 1 tomato whazzed up with some capsicum and Mexican seasoning, placed in a pot with some lentils and thickened on stove.
I've said it before- I'll say it again: leftovers make lunch out soooo much easier!
Now, just to finish this delicious post off, I'll leave you with the most delicious meal I had this past week:
I know, I know, it may not look like much, but that mug of oats was DE-LI-CIOUS!
Start with dry ingredients:
1/2 cup oats and oatbran, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon LSA mix, 1 banana- thinly sliced, small handful of sultanas, half a granny smith apple and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
Then you add some milk- 3/4-1 cup depending on desired thickness- and make a big glob, by stirring vigorously when it starts to thicken:
Pour into mug, add nut butter ( I used brazil, cashew and walnut butter = yum!) and enjoy1
I also had a little fruit salad with my leftover apple some grapes and blueberries:
Yes, those are peanut butter apple sandwiches :)
Because the light was so bad ( hello winter, your right around the corner!) I let my mug of oats have a swing on the hanging hammock chair ( the only place there was light!)
Please make this- you won't be disappointed, if my taste buds could cry, they would have- with joy! (yeh, that sounds weird to me too!)
Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...