Thursday 23 January 2014

Experiments


If you hadn't noticed already, most of the recipes I have posted on this blog have all been experiments where I make up the recipe as I go along. 9 times out of 10 it somehow miraculously works!

But, there are those few that... flop!

Today's breakfast was a bit of both- really good experiment, really bad experiment.
Lets start with the good.
Presenting my Pumpkin Glazed Mini Doughnuts:
Hehe, I decided to make that picture extra large :)
Ingredients:
100g pumpkin, chopped
30 g wholemeal spelt flour
50g wholemeal plain flour (or just 80g flour of choice)
1 teaspoon baking powder
milk (around 1/4- 1/3 cup) ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
Coconut butter (optional- this is what I used to glaze the doughnuts. You could use the glaze from this recipe or top your donuts with whatever you like!)

Method:
1. Steam/ boil pumpkin until soft (15 mins), then mash
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Whisk in pumpkin and then start adding milk until you get a slightly thick pancake consistency:
4. Now, I have a mini doughnut making machine that I used for this recipe. You could use a doughnut tray to put in the oven, or simply make these into pancakes (you can always cut a hole out of the middle) or make the batter super thick, form into doughnut shapes and bake in the oven!
5. I turned my machine on covered it in oil and spooned my mixture in, closed the lid and let it cook for about 4-5 mins (same time if you are making pancakes- oven might take 15 mins or so)
6. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool:
7. Glaze your doughnuts with your choice of topping. I used coconut butter (suggestions include, nut butter, maple syrup, jam, nutella, mashed banana etc.)
OK, so the bad experiment of the day. See if you can guess what it was:


No, it wasn't these little beauties:
It was this guy!
I attempted to make a healthy chocolate thick shake to go with my healthy doughnuts, adapted from this recipe, but I didn't add any sweetener and it tasted foul. Observe.
My original breakfast:
My breakfast after about 5 mins:
Spot the difference!
I sprinted down to the kitchen, washed the horrible thick shake down the drain, threw a frozen mango, a couple of handfuls of berries and some water into a blender, poured it into my big mug and ran back to my beloved doughnuts! Ahhh, much better!
Hello sorbet!
So the doughnuts tasted fabulous- perfect for me, they would probably not be sweet enough for anyone else, but that's why I gave you so many different topping ideas, It's all in the topping people! I love foods that aern't overpoweringly sweet, but I seem quite alone in the world! Oh well- just one more pic of the doughnuts and I promise you won't see them again!
Mmmmm, DOUGHNUTS!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...