Saturday 11 January 2014

Breakfast Trio Cupcakes




I couldn't decide what to have for breakfast this morning, knowing full well that it was pancake Sunday, but in the mood for something a bit... fatter :) If I don't want pancakes, then I guess I'll have to have cupcakes!

Which brought me to another dilemma. What flavour? Pfft, small obstacle... I'll just make three different flavours:

Chocolate/ walnut/ berry breakfast cupcakes, with an almond butter and banana filling and a coconut flour and banana frosting on top :) In other words... Breakfast Trio Cupcakes:
Ingredients:
75g flour (I used 60g wholemeal spelt flour and 15g brown rice flour)
30g rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg (or egg replacer)
1/4 cup milk (I used oat milk)
Optional- 1tablespoon LSA mix and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds- for added nutrition
2 teaspoons cocoa
3-4 broken up walnuts
4-5 mixed frozen berries
Frosting:( I would recommend just using the almond butter icing, as the coconut one was a bit strange- and that's me talking!)

1 banana
1 tablespoon milk (I used oat milk)
1-2 tablespoons almond butter/ any nut butter

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. Combine all the dry ingredients together (apart from cocoa and nuts)
3. Stir in the egg and milk
4. Split the batter equally between three small bowls and add the walnuts to one, cocoa to another and berries to the last one:
5. Spoon into a greased muffin tray or if you're cool like me, spoon into these:
6. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean (don't try this with the berry one- it will never come out clean!)
7. Place on wire rack to cool:
8. Meanwhile, make the icing: Place the banana and milk in a food processor and process until smooth
9. You can split the recipe here and make any icing creation you want (cocoa, berries.. placed in food processor) or just stir in some nut butter... so simple, yet so good!
10. Cut the cupcakes in half and spread with some icing, then spread some on top
11. Keep the leftover icing for dipping (not a suggestion... an order!) and enjoy your healthy brekky cupcakes!

If you want to see if the cupcakes came out cupcaky and fluffy... well:
They sure did!
My favourite was probably the walnut one... next time I might just make three walnut ones, but probably not because I probably will find so many more things I can fill my cupcakes with!

Did you all have a wonderful breakfast?










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, questions, queries... leave a reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...